Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Prayerful Song: Refocus

View and Add Comments

I wrote in an earlier post about the importance of prayer before the first song is sung.  It is an anxious time before that first song.  Sometimes we think “Will people be impressed with my singing?”;  “Will they ask me for autographs afterward?”;   “Oh no! How do I look?!”  It is important to refocus our attentions back onto what should be our main task: leading souls in prayerful song.  It is amazing what a simple music ministry prayer will do to help refocus.


Within this prayer this also is a great time where I remind myself that this time is not about me, but it is about Him.  Admit it.  Sometimes we as musicians might get caught up in the American Idol or Rock Band culture and images, and feel that the spotlight is on us.  We have worked hard honing our talents, and practicing the melodies.  It is time to impress the judges and show how talented we are. 



But, I think we all agree that there is a much bigger picture during these precious moments of song in church.  We have a much more beautiful mission.

It is a mission that is less self-centered and more Him-centered.  This time of prayer before the first song is a perfect time for me to remind myself of this.  It is not about me; it is about You.

With this drop of self-centeredness and increase in Him-centeredness, I am refocused on putting the prayer into each song.

What does your choir, band, or group of church musicians include in your group prayer?  Please be so kind to share it with the rest of the Music Ministry community!

Related Posts
Music Ministry Tips: Part I of Seventy Times Seven

View and Add Comments
Share this:

Twit This Add To Facebook

Comments

0 comments to "Prayerful Song: Refocus"

Advertisement

 

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Music Ministry Tips