Friday, June 4, 2010

The Dreaded Mixing Board!

View and Add Comments

"We can't hear any of the singers!"  "Um, I think I accidentally did something on the The Mixing Board."  At many small- and medium-sized churches these are perhaps some of the most feared words in Music Ministry.  Why?  It means that the dreaded mixer must be adjusted! 

This fear manifests itself in other seemingly innocuous ways.  Considering the churches I've played in the recent past, one music ministry has such a fear of the mixing board that no one is allowed to touch it.  A large sign is taped to the top pleading, "Do Not Touch!"  At another church, the mixer gathers dust in the darkness under lock and key.  It is never opened.  Early in its life it was cared for, calibrated and set by an "expert."  Now years later those settings are used for all the differing music groups from the choir to the contemporary band.  



What is it about the mixing board that exudes such terrors?  I'm sure you'll agree the answer is simple.  With all those knobs, sliders, and flashing lights, it looks like something right out of Star Trek.  (Hmm, maybe it could even be alien?!)  No wonder it is put under lock and key.  Its crime?  Guilty of Wanton Complexity!

[Now I consider my personal reaction to the Dreaded Mixing Board as differing from the general norm.  I have a technical background.  So my reaction is more of intrigue, as a child approaches a fun puzzle.  Combining that with a musical ear (adhering to thick skull!), I can often feel right at home with the Board o' Numerous & Countless  Knobs (i.e., the BoNCK!).]    


Let's face it. Mixing boards' greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness. Even today's lower-end mixing boards have countless features and functions.  It is truly stunning.  (What an age we live in!)  With so many knobs, sliders, and blinking lights, they are ready for any musical job. But at the same time this marvelous capability quickly translates to overwhelming complexity for the untrained and non-techy majority.  


I've been waiting for innovations in the mixing board industry to bring this tool from the techie realm and into the rest of humanity. Once this occurs, then much of the music ministry community worldwide will benefit.  But progress seems agonizingly slow.

My hopes grew somewhat during a recent visit to a music store where I had a chance to see today's latest mixing board offerings.  I noticed that a number of new sound effects are available.  These included reverb options, delay, chorus, echo, etc.  Although somewhat helpful, I don't think this is a step entirely in the right direction. 

What is the step in the right direction?  I can simply summarize it in one word.  Automation.  

Think about it.  What if we had a mixing board that could automate several if not many of its functions?  We could have a "user friendly" mixing board!  Would it be compatible with most musicians?  Would it be ready for music ministries in small and medium churches?

What do you think?  Am I crazy to put "user friendly" and "mixing board" in the same sentence?  I am dreaming?  Let me know what you think.  Once I review your feedback, I'll add some detail to the proposal in an upcoming post.

Image courtesy of The Mixtape Monster Blog.

Related Posts
Unfolding "Testing 1-2-3"

View and Add Comments
Share this:

Twit This Add To Facebook

Comments

0 comments to "The Dreaded Mixing Board!"

Advertisement

 

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Music Ministry Tips